The following check list will assist in making your move into a new home more organized. An important aspect of a successful move is pre-planning. Find out what to do before you move and things you may overlook on moving day. Also, prepare yourself with necessities during your moving process. Finally, plan ahead and prepare your new Arkansas home for your arrival.
What to do before moving day:
- Schedule a rental truck and/or moving company as soon as you can. Remember that the RiverValleyHome Team has a 16' enclosed moving truck freely available for our customer's use. It's scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Begin gathering packing supplies and start packing early.
- If you're renting, notify your landlord or management company as far in advance as possible - preferably at least 4 weeks early.
- Contact utility companies and schedule readout/transfer dates. These include water, electricity, gas, cable, trash service, telephone, etc. You'll want the readout/transfer date to be the date you take or give possession of the home.
- Arrange for cable/internet installation at your new address
- Register your address change with the US Postal Service.
- If you have pets and/or plants, you may need to make special arrangements for their move. Many moving companies won't move them for you.
Specific things you don't want to overlook
- If you'll be driving a long way, have your vehicle serviced 2 weeks in advance.
- Make hotel reservations if you're traveling long distance or can't move into your new home right away.
- On moving day, carry priceless items with you, such as jewelry, family photos & heirlooms, etc.
- Make sure to back-up your computer files before you disconnect and pack it away.
Last minute tasks for the day of your move
Pack a survival kit with enough essentials to tide you and your family over for at least 24 hours:
- Personal needs - glasses, medicine, extra clothes, etc
- Bathroom needs - towels, soap, toilet paper, etc.
- Cleaning needs - sponges, cleaner, broom, dustpan, etc.
- Kitchen needs - snacks, drinks, disposable utensils, cups, and plates, etc.
- Basic tools - hammer, screwdrivers (phillips head & flat head), knife, tape, etc.
- Payment for movers.
- Keys and directions to your new home.
Some things to consider once you're in your new home:
- Arrange to register your children in new school(s).
- Familiarize your children with their new environment, and make sure they know their new address.
- Put together all of your health records - keep these handy during your move.
- Decide on new doctors and dentists.
- Update or open new bank accounts.
What's my 1st step?
We know that moving can be very stressful & exciting. Give me a call, send a text or email, or fill out the short form below, and I'll get to work reducing your stress, and making your move as smooth as possible! You'll hear directly from me or one of our awesome RE/MAX First agents.